Based on the IMS Health Social Media Report which is released by the beginning of 2014 , Among the top 50 pharmaceutical companies, half do not engage with consumers or patients through social media on healthcare-related topics.
IMS Health ranked the top 10 Pharmaceutical companies on using Social Media as follow :
- Johnson & Johnson
- Novo Nordisk
- Boehringer Ingelheim
- Merck & Co
IMS Health used several indices to rank those companies like :
- Reach index : which is the measure of the absolute number of listeners and the index is based on the number of people reached by each channel through likes, shares and re-tweets.
- Relevance Index : Which is the measures whether people found posts or content relevant and/or useful, and the index is based on the extent to which content is being shared and forwarded across social networks.
- Relationship Index : A measure of interaction - the back and forth of conversation - and a measure of company and consumer or patient integration.
The relationship index measures the level of interaction between a company and those who post, reply or otherwise interact with the company’s postings.
- Johnson & Johnson is the most social Pharma company in the world followed by GlaxoSmithKline and Pfizer.
- Johnson & Johnson is the most mentioned brand on social media.
- Bayer has the most active and the highest fan base on Facebook. As a result Bayer is ranked no. 1 on Facebook among all competitors.
- Pfizer scored the highest on Twitter.